Get in Langkawi
- Langkawi International Airport is located at Padang Matsirat, on the northwestern part of the island. In 2008, it handled 1.2 million passengers.The following airlines offer service to/from Langkawi: AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines, Firefly, Happy Airways, and SilkAir.
- Direct flights are available to Penang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hat Yai, and Phuket.
- Langkawi Ferry operates fast air-conditioned boats from Kuala Perlis (RM18, 75 minutes), Kuala Kedah (RM23, 105 minutes), Penang (RM60, 165 minutes), and Satun (RM30 or THB300, 75 minutes)(Satun ferry to Langkawi: last boat departs Satun at 4pm.
- Telaga Harbour operates ferries from Ko Lipe, Thailand twice per day during the high season, at 9:30 and 14:30 (RM128 one-way, RM248 return, 75 minutes). These boats dock at the south end of Pattaya Beach. Bookings can be made online.
Get around Langkawi
A taxi from the Airport to Pantai Cenang costs RM18. You can buy a coupon at the taxi desk in the airport. From the ferry terminal to Pantai Cenang the price is RM24. For those arriving at the Kuah Jetty and going into Kuah Town, the price is RM8.
By car or motorbike/scooter
Renting a car or motorbike/scooter is highly recommended. This can be done at the airport, the port complex, or from shops on Pantai Cenang. Renting an air-conditioned mid-sized sedan costs RM70-RM150 per day (depending on model, condition and length of stay) and a 150cc motorbike/scooter costs RM40 to RM45 per day. Cheaper but usually very used and older are the semi-automatic 115ccm bikes for RM25 a day. Remember to have sufficient fuel in the tank as gas stations are far from one another.
Remember to drive safely and slowly on the island and on the left side of the road. There are tourists, children and animals like chickens, cows and even buffaloes crossing. Take care not to run over the beautiful snakes or monitors. Cattle and snakes like to lie on the road at night; the blacktop radiates heat.
Laws you need to know.
- Drivers Licence needs to be with at all times.
- Seatbelts mandatory in all vehicles .Fines given ranging from 50RM plus if not wearing.
- Helmet mandatory . Fines same as above but more importantly the hospital does not have facilities to treat head injuries you will have to get medivac out to Penang 45min+ and thats if the helicopter is available. Yes the locals look cool and ride without but they die in large numbers too.
Road blocks are commonplace in Langkawi ,they are mainly interested in locals with no licence/tax disc.Make sure you have the above items an you will have no problems.
You can rent bicycles in many of the hotels. Expect to pay between RM10 and RM30 per day.
Sometimes it would be interesting to view Pulau Langkawi in different point of view.Tour the island using helicoper will give you different experience for your visit here as you can see the wonderful nature and beauty around Pulau Langkawi.
For further information about helicopter services, visit http://www.cig-global.com.my/ for details.